German-born American Hudson River School Painter, 1830-1902
Bierstadt was born in Solingen, Germany. His family moved to New Bedford, Massachusetts, in 1833. He studied painting with the members of the D??sseldorf School in D??sseldorf, Germany from 1853 to 1857. He taught drawing and painting briefly before devoting himself to painting.
Bierstadt began making paintings in New England and upstate New York. In 1859, he traveled westward in the company of a Land Surveyor for the U.S. government, returning with sketches that would result in numerous finished paintings. In 1863 he returned west again, in the company of the author Fitz Hugh Ludlow, whose wife he would later marry. He continued to visit the American West throughout his career.
Though his paintings sold for princely sums, Bierstadt was not held in particularly high esteem by critics of his day. His use of uncommonly large canvases was thought to be an egotistical indulgence, as his paintings would invariably dwarf those of his contemporaries when they were displayed together. The romanticism evident in his choices of subject and in his use of light was felt to be excessive by contemporary critics. His paintings emphasized atmospheric elements like fog, clouds and mist to accentuate and complement the feel of his work. Bierstadt sometimes changed details of the landscape to inspire awe. The colors he used are also not always true. He painted what he believed is the way things should be: water is ultramarine, vegetation is lush and green, etc. The shift from foreground to background was very dramatic and there was almost no middle distance
Nonetheless, his paintings remain popular. He was a prolific artist, having completed over 500 (possibly as many as 4000) paintings during his lifetime, most of which have survived. Many are scattered through museums around the United States. Prints are available commercially for many. Original paintings themselves do occasionally come up for sale, at ever increasing prices. Related Paintings of Albert Bierstadt :. | View of Donner Lake, California | Wreck of the Ancon in Loring Bay, Alaska | Fishing Boats at Capri | Departure of an Indian War Party | View of the Grindelwald |
Italian Early Renaissance Painter,
was an Italian painter of the Renaissance. He was born in Perugia, the son of Benedetto or Betto di Blagio. He may have trained under lesser known Perugian painters such as Bonfigli and Fiorenzo di Lorenzo. According to Vasari, Pinturrichio was a paid assistant of Perugino. The works of the Perugian Renaissance school are very similar; and paintings by Perugino, Pinturicchio, Lo Spagna and a young Raphael may often be mistaken one for the other.Marie Ellenrieder
Anna Marie Ellenrieder (March 20, 1791 - June 5, 1863, Konstanz) was a German painter.
She was born in Konstanz, Germany, the daughter of Konrad and Anna Maria Herrmann, and the granddaughter of Franz Ludwig Herrmann.
She studied under the miniature painter Joseph Einsle. Her portraits, similar in style to the ones of Angelica Kauffmann, made her the first woman to enter the Academy of Fine Arts Munich.
She spent the time between 1822 and 1824 in Rome, where she became a disciple of Friedrich Johann Overbeck. After this journey, she started painting religious topics such as "Christ Blessing Little Children" and "Mary and the Infant Jesus." Her two paintings "Der 12 jährige Jesus im Tempel / The 12 year old Jesus in the Temple", 1849 (oil on canvas, 203,2 x 139,7 cm) and "Hl Felicitas und ihre sieben Söhne / Holy Felicitas and her Seven Sons", 1847 (oil on canvas, 127 x 177,8 cm) were acquired by Queen Victoria who had been introduced to her work by the Prince Consort, who in turn had encountered the artist on his travels to Rome. They are now part of the Royal Collection in Osborne House.
She died in her home town of Konstanz.Louis-Philippe Crepin
(1772-1851) was a French naval painter, one of the first Peintres de la Marine.
Crepin was notably a pupil of Joseph Vernet and Hubert Robert.
His Combat de la Bayonnaise contre l'Ambuscade, 1798, depicting the Action of 14 December 1798, is one of the main exhibits of the Musee national de la Marine.