Musee national de la Marine
(National Navy Museum) is a maritime museum located in the Palais de Chaillot, Trocadero, in the XVIe arrondissement of Paris. It has annexes at Brest, Port-Louis, Rochefort (Musee National de la Marine de Rochefort), Toulon and Saint-Tropez. The permanent collection originates in a collection that dates back to Louis XV of France.
In 1748, Henri-Louis Duhamel du Monceau offered a collection of models of ships and naval installations to Louis XV of France, with the request that the items be displayed at the Louvre and made available to students of the Naval engineers school, which Duhamel headed. The collection was put on display in 1752, in a room of the first floor, next to the Academy of Sciences; the room was called "Salle de Marine" (Navy room), and was used for teaching.
With the French Revolution, the Salle de Marine closed in 1793. The collection was added to models owned by the King personally, to others owned by the Ministry of Navy, and yet others owned by emigres or executees (notably Philippe Égalite). A short-lived museum was opened between 1801 and 1803 at the Ministry of Navy, then located at Place de la Concorde.
Related Paintings of Musee national de la Marine :. | Field of Poppies | Wassertragerin | Portrait of the Empress Josephine | rav och krakor | A wooded landscape with travellers and a horseman on a track |
Related Artists:Carlton Alfred Smith,RI,RWS
painted Landsitz in der Mark in 1900Orlandi, Deodato
Flemish Northern Renaissance Painter, ca.1488-1541